It’s a little past noon on this Sunday evening and my body is hurting. Not so much that I can’t move, but with every twist of my torso, I feel the weight of those side bends I did Friday morning. Earlier this week, I still felt like I was trying to adjust to waking up earlier to get to work on time so I didn’t get to run until Thursday at lunch time.
Saturday’s workout got me to focus more though and even though I’m tired and I still have some freelance work to get done, I knew that I couldn’t miss this morning’s run. I’m constantly reminding myself to put myself first, which ultimately forces me to adjust my priorities and how much I can handle without overloading myself.
Yesterday, I decided to add a few more races to my calendar this year. I know myself pretty well so after I finish the Mercer Island Half, I’ll start to slack on my training if I’m not working towards another race. So here’s what I’ve decided on:
- March 19: Mercer Island Half Marathon – This will be my first time running this race and my fourth half marathon to date.
- June 11: Sound to Narrows 12K – I was supposed to run this last year, but I just didn’t have it in me.
- June 18: Rock ‘N’ Roll Seattle Half Marathon – I’ve never run this one before, but I’ve heard good things about it. I know it’s a summer run, but if I can get it done by 11 a.m., I’m sure I’ll be ok.
- August 13: Lake Union 10K – This one popped up in my Facebook feed a few days ago and I figured why not. I’ve run the course before so it would be nice to do it with a ton of people.
- August 26: Seattle Marathon 10K – This will be my third year in a row running this one. Hopefully by the time August rolls around I’ll be much slimmer and the race photos won’t make me want to gag.
- November 26: Seattle Half Marathon – I must be crazy to consider running a half marathon during Thanksgiving weekend, but I figure I’m sure I won’t have anything else going on aside from stuffing my face. I might as well do something to curb my cravings.
I may run a few more if I’m up for it, but these are the main events I want to participate in. I’ve decided not to travel for any races this year and just take advantage of the events that are going on in my area. But hopefully the people at Nike can get their shit together and organize another half marathon in the states. I honestly don’t care where they plan it, I’ll hop on a plane and run it.
Anyway, This morning’s run was the longest of my training so far. I feel good about it. I told myself to finish in under 01:20:00 and I made it by 01:18:38. I feel like I could have finished a little faster if it weren’t for all of the hills, but I know I need to train on hills at least once a week so I can keep my endurance up.
Thankfully, tomorrow is MLK day so I’m off. I just want to get my squats done, do some yoga and then chill for the rest of the day.