Photography by Jami Davis from Fashion First Seattle 2015
It’s here! Fall Fashion Season has begun. Get ready for thousands of fashion-related posts flooding your social media feeds. I’m so excited! I didn’t really take advantage last year, even though I attended quite a few events. But this year, I’m ready. My calendar is all planned out, I’ve got my looks organized for each event and I’ve even got my business cards to hand out to my stylish new connections.
I’m going to be a busy girl so I have to make sure I have everything I need to make it through alive. Here are some tips on getting through the season with your heels still in tact:
Provisions: I’m a total “just in case” person so it’s vital for me to have the following things handy when I’m on the go.
- Beauty Products – A small makeup bag will probably save your life when you need a quick touch up. Be sure to pack your makeup, emergency hair ties and some travel size items like deodorant, lotion and your favorite fragrance.
- Portable Chargers – This one’s a no-brainer. Don’t be that girl weirdly hanging out behind the cash bar because it’s the only place you can charge your phone. I’d suggest making a quick trip to Best Buy and picking one of these bad boys up.
- Flats – Oh yes, ladies. Just because you’re a pro at strutting your stuff in two-inch heels on a rainy day in downtown Seattle doesn’t mean your feet won’t get exhausted at some point. You may not think you’ll need them, but pack them anyway. Try these Paessa flats from Aldo.
- Water – It’s something you may not think about, but it’s important to stay hydrated when you’re on the go. Be sure to stash a water bottle (with a tightly secured lid, of course) in your handbag.
- Handbag – Speaking of handbags, choose one that not only goes perfectly with your looks, but can also hold all of your provisions and other important items such as your wallet, phone, sunglasses, tickets/press passes, etc. I’m currently obsessed with the fall bags from Aldo.
Social Media Posts: I know you may be tempted to share every single photo and video you take this season, but here’s my advice about that… don’t. Carefully plan out your posts over the next few months because not planning will definitely lead to rushed posts and bad captions (including misspellings and forgetting to tag people. It’s ok to share photos the day or even the week after an event has taken place. Try using a social media scheduling app like Hootsuite to organize your upcoming posts.
Stay In The Moment: While you’re out, it’s ok to quickly hop on social media and follow a new connection, but for the most part, put your phone away and engage with the people you’re talking to. Even if you’re at a show, immerse yourself into the fashion. These designers didn’t slave away for the last six months for you to sit in the front row with your face glued to your phone.
I’m also taking a point from last month’s Editor’s Note and only attending events that will benefit my design career. Be sure to say hello if you see me at one of the following events:
- Thursday, September 8th: Pacific Place Color Me Fall Style Event
- Saturday, September 10th: Urban Air Market: Seattle
- Saturday, September 10th: New York Fashion Academy Fashion Show
- Tuesday, September 13th: MOHAI Fashion Lecture
- Friday, September 16th: Fashion First Seattle
- Wednesday, September 21st: Sip & Suits Wine Tasting & Trend Tour (#BellevueFW)
- Thursday, September 22nd: Independent Designer Runway Show (#BellevueFW)
- Friday, September 23rd: Posh Party Trend Show (#BellevueFW)
- Saturday, September 24th: Front Row Fashion Runway Show (#BellevueFW)
- Thursday, September 29th: Her Big Day Quarterly Industry Mixer
- Tuesday, October 11th: Opening Day of Yves Saint Laurent: The Perfection of Style
- Thursday, October 13th – Wednesday, October 19th: Seattle Fashion Week
- Tuesday, November 1st – Friday, November 4th: Eco Fashion Week
- Thursday, November 17th: FGI Seattle Spring Trend Event
Yep, it’s gonna be a long (and stylish) season!